BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Sunday 3 February 2008

Aldershot December 1967: Some days we never forget


I remember this Saturday long ago because I didn't pick the best day to go hitch-hiking with my notebook and camera and ended up in all places at Aldershot. It was wet snow falling too as well as rain so as well as feeling cold it's didn't take long to get horribly wet and sniffling. On my way back to Maidstone where I was at Art College I got stranded on the old A25 near Reigate or Redhill at dusk and by the time another car picked me up I was really shivering and feeling low. Volvo had recently phased out it's classic Amazon with the more square shape and this was the first time I had ridden in one. As one would expect the heaters in Swedish cars were a lot more effective than ours and before too long I felt the life seep back into my body, and it was a good job too as the poor guys who picked me up were almost passing out with the heat but I'm glad they turned the heat off before they had to strip. down to their underpants. No apart from my spotting it wasn't a good day and I didn't take any reasonable photographs either except this one which is not just a real cracker showing one of Aldershot and District's attractive early East-Lancs bodied Dennis Loline Mark1 buses as it catches perfectly how utterly miserable that sorry day was.

No comments: