BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Wednesday 6 August 2008

MAN; A Poor Man's Mercedes?


Many see MAN as a cheap substitute for a Mercedes-Benz bus or truck but personally I prefer them as they always seem to have a bit more character about them and a bit more bite when it comes to those important bus sounds. Maybe being British I always stick up for the under-dog. SWG the town operator in Giesen, during the Eighties had quite a few plus newer Setras too. I had a lady friend who lived here and she could never quite understand my wanting to photograph buses all the time, but having said that we are still good friends.

2 comments:

Andy R said...

Hi Christopher,

The rest of the world will never understand our need to photograph buses.

I sometimes regret not having taken more in the past as I remember many of the types you present, including these MANs (or are they MEN?). Maybe they were just too normal and I thought they'd always be there. At the time, I also considered German buses to be utterly boring. How I regret that arrogance today.

Anyhow, I'm greateful to you for having gone to such lengths to record these scenes that, although they are relatively recent, belong to a past that is gone forever.

Andrew

christopher said...

Hi Cirdan, thanks for leaving messages, I'm starting to get you all trained at last.(LOL)
No I don't really think we have the licence to call them MEN as it's M.A.N nor even ROMEN for the Balkan variety. Even I think I did not take enough buses especially as there are some long periods missing, particularly much of the drab NBC Eighties and not much UK colour till 1989. Even today I make sure I take a few mundane buses because as we know Arriva and First will become bygone legends one day. But I rarely go far out of my way to get them as the buses and liveries today dont excite me the same way as they used to. Besides I have plenty of work to do bringing you the past and I'm busy scanning them during the school holidays as I wont have so much time when my afternoon-work bgins in four weeks.