BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Saturday 2 August 2008

Tunbridge Wells: Southdown Leyland PD2/12 805


Favourite buses of mine were the twenty-four East-Lancs bodied Leyland PD2/12 buses delivered to Southdown in 1956 Nos. 789-812. These of course for many years were the stalwarts on the long 122 Route that went all the way from Brighton to Gravesend fifty-six miles away. This along with the 119 which just went as far as Tunbridge Wells was also operated by the local operator there Maidstone and District. A school friend lived in Crowborough and whilst staying with him we took one of these fine Southdown buses into Tunbridge Wells and caught M & D's offering back which was there equivalent PD2 but this time with a lightweight MCW body. Anyone who has ridden on these buses will know which one gave the smoothest and more rattle-free ride.

2 comments:

PD3 said...

Used to ride these to school, fantastic Buses, the one in your picture 805: RUF205 still lives on in preservation although currently off the road.

christopher said...

It's truly amazing that so many of these wonderful old buses still survive, but even though they attend rallies photos one takes never quite capture the real bus so I'm glad I have a few of these too. Last time I posted Cardiff 408, another fine bus in Preservation. Thanks for you comment PD3.