BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Thursday 18 June 2009

London: Variety at Aldgate


Two London buses belonging to Leaside Buses and one from Stagecoach show a bit of double-decker variety at Aldgate Bus Station in the East End during the Nineties. As well as an elderly MCW Metrobus we can see an early Northern Counties bodied Volvo Olympian and just visible behind them another Olympian, but this time a Leyland carrying the most stylish looking and attractive body of the bunch an Alexander R-series.

2 comments:

Andy R said...

Thanks Christopher,

Although the Metrobus was obviously not unique to London, it was (together with the Olympian) in my eyes the last in a long line of designs that were genuine London buses rather than buses that happened to painted red and happened to be working in London. Your photograph encompasses that sentiment totally.

Maybe it had something to do with the demise of LT? Or maybe it's just me getting older?

Andrew

christopher said...

I'm not quite with you there Andrew as the Titan was probably the last real London Bus as the others were as you said just painted red for London. Indeed I'm sure those from the West midlands wouldn't think their Metrobus was a London Bus it was very Brum.