BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Sunday 13 August 2017

Aldershot & District 1953 Dennis Lance at Alton

Of course all old buses have a certain nostalgic charm and especially much missed operators like Aldershot and District. But looking through modern eyes we much prefer classic bus designs to an updated image. This Dennis Lance tries to look modern but just looks quirky and even an East Lancs body which in those days had an attractive look it doesn't really do much for No.220. To ride on and to listen to it was a bit like an under-powered Bristol K-Series and A&D were getting rid of these after twelve years. But it's good that unusual buses like this 1953 bus have been preserved as seeing them make distant events worth travelling to.

3 comments:

Ross said...

It's probably an age thing and looking back to the familiar scenes and sounds of childhood, but nowadays I find myself getting nostalgic for Leyland Nationals like the one behind, especially if they still have the original Leyland 510 engine and that characteristic whine.

christopher said...

Ross maybe it's because what used to be an irritant has become a rare pleasure. No they didn't look very exciting but like the original Routemaster they had a sound of their own which is something we probably miss. They were certainly nicer than the horrible minibuses that replaced them and those bland Dennis Dart Pointers.

Ross said...

Ironically I saw an Optare City Pacer at Dewsbury on Sunday and whilst I didn't exactly drool over it, I was quite pleased to see it had survived and been preserved (I think Keighley museum has one too).
Mind you, the City Pacers were the best of the first gen. "real" minibuses (i.e. designed as minibi rather than van conversions), at least from the passenger's point of view, looking good and being reasonably comfortable: a heck of an improvement on a Ford Transit breadvan or similar!