BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Monday 4 August 2008

M & D: Knightrider Street: SC31-32 Together

Not surprisingly Maidstone and District had a fairly large garage at Maidstone on a site shared with a Victorian building that was companies head office in Knightrider Street. My guess is there were about 60-70 vehicles allocated here. It was always worth a visit too for new vehicles were delivered here and it had an interesting varied selection of the fleets AEC, Daimler and Leylands. Should you ask me which ones spring to mind first it would have to be two Willowbrook bodied AEC Reliance 2U3RA which as part of M & D's first delivery of 36ft single-deck buses in 1962 (S1) and S2-5 1963 should have been S6-7. But Instead the last two arrived as SC 31-32 dual-purpose coaches for express work and were allocated here at least in 1967-8 when I studied in the town. In the background is a brand new Duple-bodied Leyland Leopard as at this time in 1968 much to the regret of many, M & D had transferred it's single-deck and coach loyalties to Leyland from it's traditional supplier AEC of Southall.

No comments: