BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Sunday 26 July 2009

Romero, where art though Romero?

I think this was Vila Real again right in the far South-West corner of Portugal where a dusty Spain beckoned across the Rio Guadlana a short ferry crossing away. Today a modern bridge spans the wide estuary but somehow not only does progress make the world smaller one place quickly becomes very much the same as the next and apart from livery even the bus and coaches become alike. Way back in 1984 two coaches built in their respective countries seemed world's apart with the still new Caetano bodied Scania tourist coach from Portugal looking modern and built to a demanding North European Standard whereas the 'domestic' Spanish coach probably a Pegaso with only information boards and numbered 25 in the Romero fleet looks old fashioned and to me a bit like it's come off badly in a bull fight with fallen arches and with on it's radiator a bit of metalwork reminding me of those teasing daggers thrust through a bull's neck making this poor coach look even more sad and dejected. I'm sorry about the William Shakespeare pun, maybe instead I should have said as the Spanish coach distorts my sense of reality looked like something from a Picasso painting 'of weeping women' but you might not have believed me. Either way, it's profile probably inspired by Mercedes you must agree that it was a bit of an ugly beast.

3 comments:

Artdesire said...

Great photo. I think - as far as I can see - this is the ancient town of Tavira in the eastern Algarve. The river is too narrow to be the Guadiana river. The bus in the back is a brand new Ceatano Beta type bus from Covas e Filhos of Sesimbra.

christopher said...

It's on border somewhere as I have another picture of the Scania outside the customs house.

Terminal Rodoviario said...

Another wonderfull memory !