BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Monday 21 October 2013

109 DRM: One Foot in the Future on in the Past

When one thinks about it it's quite amazing how many old buses there are in preservation. Some have interesting stories but this former Cumberland Bristol was lucky for it's lowly roll as the fleet 'trainer' left it the sole reminder of the pre-NBC era and the application of a heritage livery ensured it would hopefully be cherished before going into preservation at a later date. I was lucky enough to come across Lodekka 550 109DRM still earning it's keep when I had some van trouble in 1989 and had to make a call on the edge of Carlisle and there she was at Asda together with a 1980 Atlantean whose ECW style of bodywork still bears a strong resemblance to the Fifties classic found on the old Bristol. Actually it wasn't quite as old as it looked as dating from 1961 it was an early FS delivered before the new grill was introduced.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

we the 550 group still own this vehicle and is currently on the road full mot and starts on the button now over 55 years old

john burrow

on behalf of 550 group

cumbria

christopher said...

Very lovely she is too and I'm glad she is in such good hands. Thank you for your comment.